Thursday 22 October 2015

7. Experimentation

From the feedback I received I have decided to continue with the typeface Optima, with a black and white colour palette. As I wanted to experiment down a different route of design I have created a visual of the logo on a shop front so that I can compare and contrast how successful each experimentation process has been.


I think that the overall appearance of the logo design is professional, clear and is appropriate for the varied target audience that the company caters for. This design would sit perfectly on a high street as it is simple and flat. However, seeing the design in this context has highlighted to me that the  C and l being so close together could be read as a 'D'. To overcome this issue I will adjust the kerning so that each letter is more distinctive. 





Although it is only a slight change, I have adjusted the height of the L and K so that they are the same height as the C, as well as adjusting the kerning. This solves the issue of seeing the C and L as a D.

To continue down a different experimentation route, I have decided to use a sans serif font, to give the company the option of following a more traditional branding look. It will also be good to compare the sans serif and serif fonts together on the shop front. To do this I am going to complete peer feedback. 



I chose the typeface Didot as it is a font I picked up on whilst browsing the company website. It is also used in this stamp which is featured on the website.
This adds an element of consistency to the branding of Clarks.





The results from peer feedback:

Optima
- Gives the brand a more upcoming modern image
- More of an approachable feel
- Isn't out of your everyday price range
- More welcoming to all age groups

Didot
- Reflects the traditional image of the company
- Don't like the contrast of thick and thin lines
- Links well to the history of the company, shows consistency

This feedback gave me a finishing point to this particular design route. From the feedback it is clear that Optima (image below) is the most appropriate font for the brand. 



I wanted to experiment with changing the name to show a different approach to the rebrand. James Clark was the founder of the the 'Sheepskin slipper' in 1825, which is something I found in my initial research. 




I didn't want to use James' full name as I think that it will confuse the target audience as they may believe it is a whole new company if the name changes so much from the original. So, not only have I tried out a new name, I have also taken colours that are featured on the website and in store to try and create a consistent theme throughout the company that gives a more approachable family feel. I wanted to continue using serif and sans serif so that there is always the option to go for a modern or traditional appearance.







From doing feedback on the four colours, the 58585a and d3e6e2 were the most popular choices. I decided to see what visual effect they created when being shown on the shop front. This is also an option for the company to decide as they make use both colours for their store - showing one on a black background and the other on a white background, depending on the style of the building the shop is located in.

If I was pitching to the company I would show them a range of the final resolutions that I have designed. However, I think that going for a modern approach to the rebrand will draw the attention of the target audience back to the shop as it shows consistency with their upkeep in the fashion market as well as being more appealing for families and individuals.











As well as having a visual of the logo on the website, I also wanted to design a simple piece of advertising to display the final logo design. To do this I researched some of Clarks advertising to get an idea of the type of layout that they already use.





As I wanted to have a visual piece of advertising I decided to take inspiration from the above images and organise a photoshoot. The aim for this shoot is to capture a natural photograph of a female wearing a classic boot. I would like the image to be focused on the feet rather than having the whole figure in the photograph. I think that this directs the audience more, especially those who are not familiar with the company. Below are some of the photographs that I took.





 I decided to continue with the first image as I felt it was the most successful. I took the composition that I had seen in the research and recreated it with the photograph and logotype. I have three variations of the design which I am going to gather feedback.

1.
2.
3.




Feedback:
- I think that the black and white image adds to the classic design that you are going for with this advertising however the bright yellow makes the piece stand out more
- The caption works well as it brings the piece together and makes it work well as a whole
- The colour designs are not limiting to a specific age range however I think that the black and white has a more dated appearance
- Appropriate and suitable for the company, caption is legible and works well with the composition of the design

From this feedback I have decided to go with design 3. I would agree with the comments made that the bright yellow adds excitement to the piece, making it eye catching and drawing in the target audience. As the focus is not of the whole person, there also shows no age restriction to the product which is important when catering for a larger target audience. Although this was only a small piece that I had a limited time frame on, for future projects I would like to reserve more time for displaying the final outcome as I think that this is an important way of displaying the design for the client as well as having the confidence as a designer that the design would be versatile in any media that it may be featured on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment