Thursday 15 October 2015

3. Experimentation

To begin my experimentation I wanted to look at serif and sans serif fonts. As Clarks has been established since 1825 I thought that a serif font would be more appropriate as it is a traditional typeface. However, on experimenting with the Baskerville font I have decided that a sans serif would suit the image of the company better. This is because it is a brand that keeps up with current fashion trends therefore needs a universal font that will remain fashionable for an unlimited amount of time. 

For each of the first design boards I looked at colour and kerning. I have taken the colour from the original logo as it has become a part of their heritage and adds the familiarity to the customer. 





From experimenting with Baskerville I moved on to a sans serif font. I chose Optima as it reminds me of the original font of the Clarks logo. As I am undecided on the font to use, I am going to bring these pages to the crit group to gain opinions of others. 









To go down a different experimentation route I went back to my research. As Timpson's was founded in the same century as Clarks (1865) I decided to use their logo as my inspiration. The singage of the Timpson's shop is how it is shown in the image below - a burgundy background with white type.




I think that having the block colour works well with the composition of this design. However, I think that adding the 'Shoe makers since 1825' reduces the simplicity of the shop design and branding. Further more, having a logo with a colour background makes it difficult to reproduce on shoe boxes and carrier bags, as well as in the shoe itself. To overcome this issue there could be two versions of the final design - one with type on colour and another with the type on a white background.




































No comments:

Post a Comment