Friday 19 February 2016

Final Critique

As I had a number of sketches and designs to present, I set up a presentation of the designs in sets to that they could be easily viewed. As I was unsure of which designs had been the most successful and wanted to find out areas to improve/further experiment with, I wrote 3 focused questions to gather direct feedback. 

1. Are there any of the sketches that I have not yet experimented with but you think I should?

The general response was that I had experimented 'thoroughly' and 'consistently' with the designs that I had therefore experimenting with some of the other sketches is optional and a personal decision. From getting feedback to other peoples designs it has given me an insight to some of the trends that might be appearing in the competition. The marble ink effect was very popular and a number of people had experimented with it for their album cover design. This has highlighted to me that if in the small group that we are, there are a number of the same design ideas then this may be the same case for the competition. Therefore, the marble designs may not stand out in the competition if there are a number of other similar designs. This has shown that I need to go for a more unique and unusual design to submit that I have not seen before.


2. Which design stands out to you the most?

This questions gathered a range of responses, having an equal appreciation for each of the designs and for different reasons. This made organising the responses more difficult as the answers were a little here there and everywhere!

Orange design
- The orange designs are extremely effective, especially upon mirroring and adding geometric shape
- Aesthetically pleasing and the colours work really well
- When digital based media is overplayed on the print it enhances the design overall 

Marble Inks
- The orange marble ink pieces are visually very appealing but the colour also bakes a bright, high contrasting piece

Monoprint
- The combination of the marble inks and print have worked out really well and create a visually appealing piece. it is an unusual design
- I like have you have combined the some of the designs, shows you are really thinking about the composition of the design

Rose
- This is my favourite design as the image is absent yet an interesting shape is created through the design
- Choice of colour is appropriate and interesting, creates something unusual and unexpected
- The dark background really makes the design pop and almost gives a 3D effect

People
- N/A

Eyes
- Having the eyes open and closed would be intriguing to someone viewing the vinyl sleeve
- It would be interesting to experiment with adding more facial features
(note: a pattern of facial features, eyes, lips, nose, ears)
- The combination of pattern and geometric shapes is visually appealing and eye catching


3. Are there any directions you think I could take the design(s) in?
- More manipulation of the oranges, try layering more than one image, zooming in and experimenting with different compositions
- More combinations of the designs 
- Layering repeated patterns

After reading through and organising the feedback comments it has given me confidence with the designs. As I set myself a timescale of a day on each design idea I felt as though I had limited myself however it has been positive to get such a range of feedback on all of the ideas. Working in this way has meant that I haven't just got caught up on one idea and continued with that. However, after the comments, I am going to continue experimenting with the orange and eyes design. There have been some interesting comments that I would like to experiment with to make the designs even more intricate and individual. However, I am going to submit a number of designs to the competition as I feel that they are all worthy of the competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment