Friday 26 February 2016

Banknotes Of The Pound Sterling

As I have decided to focus on the pound sterling, I want to complete focused research on the history of the note and the design. From this I will be able to highlight concepts, colour schemes and creative directions that have previously been used. This will ensure that my idea process is unique and not copying something that has already been produced. On the other hand it may highlight a design that has been previously over looked and that I could develop to be recognised.

Users of the sterling bank note are the United Kingdom, JerseyGuernsey, the Isle of ManSouth Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, and Tristan da Cunha in St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha. An idea that springs straight to mind is designing a series of notes that are based on the different users of the note. For example, an illustration of the island, important figures, landmark buildings or locations, etc.

Security features:


Including security features is essential when designing a practical bank note. I once read a crime novel based around counterfeiting. Previously not having an interest in this area I found it highly interesting at the process that the criminals went through to counterfeit money and to ship the produce. This has given me a slight knowledge into the background of counterfeiting and it has highlighted to me the importance of ensuring that banknotes are designed and printed in a way that they cannot be illegally reproduced. However, as I am designing a bank note for an exhibition purpose, it is not essential that these elements are incorporated into the design. This is something that I will consider when producing ideas for the design.

Design Features:


Something that has stood out to me from this page is the 'Historical character'. It is important to recognise these historical figures by brining them into such designs. However, an alternative use for this type of subject would be to use more current individuals and issues that are circulating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment