Tuesday 22 March 2016

Typography for Children

As I am nearing completion of the illustrations I wanted to start looking at the production of the book. From my A-level course in English Language, I learnt a lot about the way that children learn to read and talk. This knowledge will be particularly useful when putting together the content of the book as I will be able to choose an appropriate typeface, font size and colour. This is important as I want the book to be produced as if it were being published and not just for the brief. 

A useful article that I found by Ilene Strizver, Typography for Children will inform the decisions that I will make, as well as carrying out primary research, asking children on whether they are attracted to the book, as well as parents.


Text Legibility (Typeface choices)
- the counters should be rounded and open (Sassoon Primary)
- avoid non-traditional letterforms
- larger x-heights are generally easier to read
- avoid condensed or expanded typefaces (this makes character recognition more difficult)
- a book or medium weight is most appropriate


Typefaces designed for children
- serifed Bembo Infant
- Plantin Infant
- Gill infant
- Sassoon Primary




Making the text readable
- 14 to 24 point with 4 to 6 point leading (new readers follow words from left to right and jump their eyes from the end of one line to the beginning of another)
- short line lengths
- not too much text on a page
- avoid all caps setting
- ample contrast between the type and background


Headlines and Titles
- can be more playful in style, colour and layout (fewer words therefore acceptable)
- decorative typestyles, colour, curved and jumping baselines can be sed to attract a younger audience
- light and fun ! 

This is just a few notes that I have made from the article which I will thoroughly refer to when deciding on a typeface and setting the point size etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment