Thursday 24 March 2016

Experimenting with type

After researching and downloading typefaces that have been designed for children, I began experimenting with the wording in the book. I have firstly chosen to use Bembo Book. This typeface is  more of a classic style font that works effectively with the illustrative style that I have chosen.  

1. Bembo Book




2. Bembo Book



I had originally thought that I would keep the text in the book very simple, using only a few words. However, comparing it to the more structured style sentence, having more detailed wording provides a consistency throughout the pages and gives off a more children's book feel. I am going to continue with this wording as I experiment with the typefaces. 

3. Sassoon



4. Gill Sans Infant



5. Plantin Infant


After working through each of the typefaces and reading back through the article that I have previously made notes on, I have made the decision to go with two typefaces for the book. Through a feedback discussion it was brought up that having a separate typeface for the title gives the book definition and adds more personality to the style. After this comment I then asked which typefaces worked well together as I didn't want to very different styles being on the same page. The conclusion was that Gill Sans infant would be used for the body text and Plantin Infant for the title of the book. Each of the typefaces have a soft appearance which is something that brings them together on a page. It was also said that the reader felt more relaxed when reading these typefaces which is something that you want to achieve when designing a children's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment