Monday 29 January 2018

Case Study, Consent Research

http://www.psychology4a.com/research-methods.html

Roberto Matta's, Psychological Research and Scientific Method

Deception
Deception involves either concealing the real intention of a study from participants or taking steps to mislead them at the outset. For the nature of this study, deception would be needed to ensure that the participants were not influenced by the study in the clothing that they wear.


Debriefing
It is really a matter of common courtesy to debrief your participants at the end of any procedure and inform them of the point of the research.  Debriefing is crucial if any form of deception has been employed.  Debriefing is essential in this study as it will allow for the participant to be fully aware of the nature of the photographs and for allows for the participant to remove themselves from the study. 

A proper debrief should:

  • Inform participants of the purpose of the research
  • Ensure that there are no negative or unforeseen consequences of the procedure
  • Ensure that the participant leaves in ‘a frame of mind that is at least as sound as when they entered.’  (Aronson 1988).
  • Give the participant the right to withdraw their data and to see the finished write-up of the report if they so wish.

As well as having the best interests of the participant in mind, debriefs can also be a useful source of additional information in an experiment.  Participants may tell you things that you would otherwise not be aware of.
  • I confirm that I have read and understand the Participant Information Sheet
  • I have had the opportunity to ask questions and had them answered
  • I understand that all personal information will remain confidential and that all efforts will be made to ensure I cannot be identified (except as might be required by law)
  • I agree that data gathered in this study may be stored anonymously and securely, and may be used for future research
  • I understand that my participation is voluntary and that I am free to withdraw at any time without giving a reason.
  • I agree to take part in this study



Psychological Harm
This can involve embarrassment, loss of self esteem, stress and anxiety.

Consent Form
A Consent Form should be no longer than one side of A4.
Some example statements include: Some example statements include:

  • I confirm that I have read and understand the Participant Information Sheet
  • I have had the opportunity to ask questions and had them answered
  • I understand that all personal information will remain confidential and that all efforts will be made to ensure I cannot be identified (except as might be required by law)
  • I agree that data gathered in this study may be stored anonymously and securely, and may be used for future research
  • I understand that my participation is voluntary and that I am free to withdraw at any time without giving a reason.
  • I agree to take part in this study

Participant’s signature                                                                           Make a space for the participants name to be printed, to sign and date.
Consent Form: 

No comments:

Post a Comment