Wednesday 17 May 2017

End of Module Self Evaluation

The idea process for each of the studio briefs was informed by varied and specific research as well as successfully gaining feedback to aid the progression of each response. The decision to focus on the Kirkgate Market fire was mainly informed by my own interest in the market, as well as wanting to celebrate and represent the level of community and pride that is shown through the people of Leeds. This decision was also informed by being able to engage with the stall holders and visitors to todays market as well as being able to experience the atmosphere and architecture of the market.
The decision to research and focus on the topic of mental illness was informed by my recent studies via the Future Learn course, Caring for people with Psychosis and Schizophrenia. This meant that I was able to apply my own knowledge of the mental illness to the response as well as be involved in a subject that I have an interest in. Due to having this interest I was able to extend the response produced and therefore enjoyed the completion of the self written brief.

This module has allowed me to explore my interest in traditional print design as well as organizing documents for digital print. Each of these methods allowed for experimentation in the print areas which was aided through the support of workshop staff and tutorial videos. This has taught me that using a range of information platforms is important to receive a rounded and informed understanding of design.  Ensuring that a design is appropriate for screen printing is essential in ensuring the print is successful. This meant that changes were made to the point size of the vector drawings and the type size of the text in studio brief 01. These were consideration made when producing the design and therefore did not affect the overall quality of the print.
Throughout the year I have been using the digital print facilities and therefore have devised an efficient way to printing. I ensured that all print slots were booked in advance of completion of the module. This ensured that test prints were possible and therefore suitable changes made. The documents were also checked thoroughly before printing to ensure that no print errors were made. This is a routine that I have been able to apply throughout my practice and has resulted in high quality prints being produced, digitally and traditionally. 

Carrying out primary and secondary research has not only helped with printing but it has also developed my understanding of social graphic design and how to design for a specific purpose/target audience. This was of particular importance in Studio Brief 02 as the response to the brief required an understanding of the audience and their needs. Speaking to members of the target audience is an important element of completing a design response to a problem. This is an identification that I have followed on with from the Responsive OUGD503 Studio Brief 01 module. Comments from the target audience led to the production and consideration of effective advertising of the information pack. This was informed by the identification that not all carers are aware of information platforms and they therefore need to be effectively advertised to ensure the large target audience is being informed. Through writing my own brief informed by the identification of the problem, it has meant that I have been able to articulate my writing in an effective way to ensure that clear aims and a direction were taken in the design response.


To finalize each studio brief I collaborated with a pair of photographers (Hilda Quick and Charlotte Igoe) to gain high quality images of the final outcomes. These are photographers I approached due to their skills with studio. I was able to experience and practice my professionalism through this collaboration as it involved communicating with the photographers to organize the day of shooting as well as the organization of the photograph compositions. As well as using the photographs for contextual and professionalism references in the submission I will also be able to use them to post each project on my social media pages. This is something that I have been completing for each module to ensure that my work is being seen as well as to engage with those artists who have influenced my practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment